Employment Tribunal Claims

Are you considering taking your employment dispute to an employment tribunal? Let our employment law experts help guide you through the process.

If you have a dispute with your employer, you may consider taking a claim to the employment tribunal. If you do so, it is vitally important you have an experienced employment solicitor by your side to help you through the employment dispute process.

Our Employment Law team can assist you with your dispute, from the initial attempts to find an informal resolution, right through to an employment tribunal.

If you have been treated unfairly by your employer, making a claim to the tribunal may be necessary in obtaining compensation for the treatment. Let our friendly team of Liverpool, Manchester and St Helens employment solicitors guide you through the procedures. 


What is an employment tribunal?

Employment tribunals are public bodies in England and Wales that have statutory jurisdiction to hear many kinds of disputes between employers and employees. The most common type of disputes heard in the tribunals are:

  • Unfair and wrongful dismissal
  • Unlawful wage deductions
  • Discrimination
  • Redundancy payments
  • Breach of contract
  • Whistleblowing

Employment tribunals will make decisions about these disputes between employees and employers.


What employment tribunal services do we offer?

Employment tribunals are usually the last resort when it comes to solving employment disputes. Our team can help you with every stage of an employment issue, including:

  • Advising you on your internal grievance procedure
  • Guiding you through the ACAS early conciliation process
  • Taking your claim to the Employment Tribunal
  • Assistance with Tribunal appeals

We can also assist with potential settlement agreements if your position at your place of work becomes untenable. Our employment law team are able to assist with all aspects of this process.


Who can make a claim to an employment tribunal?

If you are an employee and believe you have been treated unlawfully, unfairly or wrongfully by your employer, you may have grounds to lodge a complaint with the tribunal.

In order to bring a claim to the employment tribunal, you must first tell ACAS. Here, you will be offered the option of “early conciliation”. Our team can explain what this process means in more detail.


How long do you have to make an employment tribunal claim?

You must bring your complaint forward within three months of the incident. This means you must contact ACAS to start your early conciliation three months minus 1 day from the date of what you are complaining about.

Once you’ve finished early conciliation, you will have 4-6 weeks extra to make a tribunal claim.

There are certain exceptions to the three-month rule, however. Disputes relating to redundancy payments, equal pay and unfair dismissal for taking part in official industrial action can all be made within 1 year of the incident.

These are strict time limits, and if three months has passed the employment tribunal will not hear the case.


How can Smooth Commercial Law help?

Our team at Smooth Commercial Law understand that the process of employment tribunals can be quite daunting. This is why it is helpful to have a friendly employment law expert on your side while you go through the procedures.

You can rely on Smooth Commercial Law to have your best interests at heart and to help you with any type of employment law dispute. Whether your dispute is with a large corporation or a small SME, we will also fight to protect you and your rights.

If you have any questions about employment tribunals, the process of making a claim, and your legal rights, contact our experienced Liverpool, Manchester, St Helens, and North West employment tribunal solicitors by calling 0800 046 9976 or by emailing info@smoothcl.co.uk. You can also contact us through our enquiry form here.